Trying to rewatch the new Star Wars trilogy

The Last Jedi is coming out this weekend and so I tried to rewatch the Force Awakens. I saw the Force Awakens in the theater and it was okay I thought, kind of by the numbers. It made me miss George Lucas's whimsical side.

I'm a little weird in that I think that the Phantom Menace was the best of the prequel films. I thought that the last two were some of the worst films ever made.

The reason is that the Phantom Menace has soul that the last two do not. The last two get serious. But George really is a softie at heart. He's not so good at messed up stuff.

Yes, people hated Jar Jar.

Jar Jar is not my favorite character, but he doesn't particularly bother me either. He is a non-entity to me in the films. Just an odd creature in the universe.

Finn, oddly enough, is far more jarring to me because his character is so badly acted. He goes from being traumatized by a fellow soldier's death to wholescale killing his own in the tie fighter. Something isn't quite right there.

The pod racing were callbacks to classic films. The Gungan world actually is extremely creative. The Gunguns are a fantastic creation, this is because as someone who pays attention to science, the oceans are as unexplored as the Moon, perhaps even more so. And a planet where the core is ocean is a sci-fi treat of an unusual planet.

It has been a few days since I wrote. I have been scatter brained lately.

In short, the new sequel trilogy looks like too much of a nostalgia play. It dwells too much on the fucked up drama of these mythical swordsmen. It looks murderous with the red tones. It looks evil. It is an extension of the Empire Strikes Back. It is an exploration of the shades of gray that is evil. I don't think I'm that interested in that. The beauty of Star Wars has always been its whimsical side, and I'm not really getting that here.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Trump Revolution Part 1

Unitarian Universalist